Dorset’s hidden secret!
The Trooper Inn is under new ownership.
Please see below for our revised opening hours.
Please kindly note, we are not yet able to offer meals. The Trooper Kitchen is due to re-open in mid-February.
Situated in the pretty village of Stourton Caundle in the Blackmore Vale, we are an independent, friendly pub at the heart of our community: a stone-built, single-room 17th century inn.
The Trooper Inn has been a refuge, offering food and drink to weary travellers, for hundreds of years.
Traditional yet modern – our CAMRA award-winning pub is an attractive blend of old and new, creating an atmosphere which is relaxed and informal, popular with locals and visitors alike.
In pleasant weather, you can enjoy sitting outside the front of the pub, watching the world go by and listening to the tinkle of the village stream, a tributary of Caundle Brook. We also have a cosy beer garden to the side.
Steeped in history, this is a wonderful region to explore and we are close to the ancient market towns of Sherborne and Sturminster Newton.
- Whether inside or out, you can choose from our ever-changing variety of award-winning real ales, our extensive gin menu, selected wines, West Country vodkas, traditional ciders - and more!
- Homemade meals freshly prepared for you in The Trooper Kitchen, including our popular Wednesday One Pots and Friday traditional fish 'n chips and our Friday Specials.
- We have many events throughout the year, such as regular Trooper Folk Nights, Quiz Nights, unique themed Food Nights, occasional Comedy Nights and our annual Beer Festival.
- Dogs, walkers and cyclists are welcome.
There are lovely circular walks from The Trooper Inn, the North Dorset Trailway is nearby and there are plenty of local sites to explore.
- Our private 'CS hideaway' camping and caravan site is nestled in a small level field to the rear of the pub.
- Set in the heart of the Blackmore Vale, we are less than an hour's drive from the spectacular Jurassic Coast - and we're close to the borders of Somerset and Wiltshire.
Our secluded campsite is recommended by the Evening Standard: ’10 of Dorset’s best attractions and camping spots’.
We’d love you to find us!
Look for our brown pub signs from the A357, between Sturminster Newton and Stalbridge – and take a look at this map.
We look forward to seeing you!
Debbie, John, James and Joe Pritchett.